Family

Family
Lonely no More:)
And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. Matthew18:5



Wednesday, September 4, 2013

School Lunch

We've hit a rough patch with Ms. Scout.  Her interpreter is gone for a week to be with her son in the hospital.....which leaves Wren without the prep work that Mrs. Kay does with her, and less signing.....they do have a girl helping out who knows some sign language, but it's another change for Wren.....which must trigger some fears or frustrations or power issues in her.....a need to be in control because things are new and uncertain??  After a long chat with her teacher, we decided I would be on call in case of emergency signing needs.......and she was going to  implement a few tactics........and hope for the best.  I did my best to communicate to Wren that Mrs. Kay was at the hospital with her son who was sick.....broke his arm....doctor has to fix it......Mrs. Kay be back later......Mrs. Kay not at school tomorrow....you have to listen to the teacher and BE NICE!  Help pick up the toys.....LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN and work hard.......and BE NICE!!  She nodded and smiled...........did she understand??  Maybe parts of it.  Hopefully most of it.  The morning went better......hit a rough spot in the afternoon.....over a book she wanted to look at herself instead of the one the class was listening to.......I understand, really I do.  She can go at her own pace, turn the pages when she's ready........tune out the world.......BUT  she has to learn to conform to the rules. period.  This is life.  Sometimes you get choices, and sometimes you just have to do what you are told.  I'm not sure anyone ever tried to communicate with her and make her do what she didn't want to do....I think they just kind of let her do her own thing because they couldn't explain it.......and as her file stated......"she has a little stubborn"  Yep!.....just a little.  It also says she is smart, loving, and lovely....also very true!

I decided to go eat lunch with both girls to just help remind Wren...... mid day..... to listen and pay attention etc....and just to have some stability in the middle of the day for her....to give them some hugs.  Did it help?  Who knows...but they were both glad to see me.
Lined up outside the lunchroom waiting to go in. Do you see the pink tennies in there?

 Mighty pleased with herself......"my mommy is here"

 Going through the line.....all by her little self!



She can't even see over the counter to see if she wants what they are offering her!


She's standing on tip toe here to reach the veggies, and fruit.



 so many decisions......grape or strawberry jelly....butter or no butter......
 Finally sitting down.......I asked all the kids their names.....and was informed by one that they had their tonsils taked out.....another one informed me that her brother did too.  I helped open 4 milk cartons, and go get a forgotten straw......told Iley to hurry up and EAT...multiple times..... I have new appreciation for the lunch room monitors......and teachers!



 My nephew Hans was eating at the same time at another table.

 He's the cutie in the yellow shirt.

Mommy, look at my cheek!  She ate all her tomatoes first, then some grapes, a couple of bites of roll, and 1/3 of her mashed potatoes and gravy.........they need to put Sherman in the same lunch with the girls to clean up their leftovers!  He thinks they starve the 6th graders.




When they're done they have to take their trays up and dump them and sort their silverware into tubs of soapy water.


 Can you say "HURRY UP ALREADY!"  oh my word, this would drive me nuts! LOL

They have to pour any left over milk, juice or water into this container.....highlight of the lunch time!

 ummmm lets see what's next...........

 Oh yeah......scrape my left overs into the trash...........

 Lick the fork............and then put it in the container..........

 Line up.........try to hug Wren on the way by.....while the teacher says keep moving Iley!

Spotted by Wren.   I get to do it all over again:)



She doesn't drink milk at lunch, just water.  But she had to touch them all on the way by.



 She picked salad with dressing......two kinds.....not sure if this is allowed when Mom isn't there pumping?

 Again.....I opened several milk cartons, helped spread jelly, listened in detail and at length to someones birthday party plans...........for next year....because it's never too early to talk about parties and presents people....reminded Wren to chew with your mouth shut, and keep eating!  When she sat down she pointed to my empty place in front of me and said "aaaaa??" then she raised her eye brows and signed "share?"  I told her , No mommy isn't eating.  Just you.  She smiled, shrugged and started in.




 I think they all save a little liquid in the bottom of their glasses just so they can dump them in the jug!

 Cross drop.

 Dump the tray......don't lose the glass........

Put it on the counter...........

 Put your glass in the tray......and we're done.  Can you even imagine the chaos of the first couple of days!!

Then we saw another Cousin.....Miss Grace:)





Time to line up........lets get some friends in the picture.

 And then lets move down and get some more friends in the picture.

  Then we saw another Cousin......Evie Marie on her way to lunch.....so stopped for a quick picture......

.........and a hug.   Then they were off to their rooms, and I went home.
I actually saw Sherman very briefly too!  But didn't embarrass him by trying to take his picture.

1 comment: